The IDA storage space is applied and granted to a CSC project, and the users associated with the same project share a common IDA storage space. The same project can have members from multiple organizations and also collaborators from abroad. To use the IDA service, you will need a CSC user account and then either create a new project or be added as a member to an existing project.
- Brief instructions for applying for IDA research storage
- Full instructions for applying for IDA research storage
- Instructions for adding members to a project in IDA
- How to end the active use of IDA storage space
Brief instructions for applying for IDA research storage
The project’s Project Manager can apply for IDA storage space in MyCSC.
1. Authenticate with Haka ID or Virtu in MyCSC and create a CSC user account (in case you do not already have one).
2. Create a new project.
3. Apply for IDA storage space with an application form in MyCSC. You’ll receive an email notification when your application has been approved.
4. Log in IDA at ida.fairdata.fi.
Full instructions for applying for IDA research storage
1. If you do not already have a CSC user account, please register a user account with Haka or Virtu in MyCSC (my.csc.fi). Read CSC Docs for detailed registration instructions. If you don’t have Haka/Virtu, contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi to register (applies for some of the state research institutes).
2. Create a CSC project in MyCSC. Select Academic as the project type.
3. Apply for IDA storage for your project. Go to the My Projects view from the left side menu, and select the project you want to apply for IDA storage space.
4. From the project’s Services menu, select IDA and then select Apply for access. (See picture of selecting IDA in the project view.)
5. Fill out the IDA application form. Under Storage Quota Owner, select your home organisation. If your home organisation is part of the Tampere universities, choose “Tampere university” from the dropdown menu. Alternatively, if you wish to apply for IDA storage based on an Academy of Finland funding (max 2 TB), choose Academy of Finland. You can check your Grant Number from the Academy of Finland web pages. Note, that only data produced under Academy of Finland research funding (Academy Projects, Centres of Excellence, research programmes) and under Academy of Finland research environment funding (research infrastructures) are eligible for IDA usage.
6. You will receive an email confirmation after the organisation’s IDA contact person has approved your application (usually within a few working days). After the application has been approved, you can log in to the service at ida.fairdata.fi or use IDA’s command line tools.
IMPORTANT: Renew your CSC account password annually when requested to keep your projects and their service access active. If you wish to modify the size of your IDA storage space, change the project manager, open a locked user account, or stop using the IDA service, please contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi.
Adding members to an existing project and its IDA storage space
As the project manager, you can add users to your project and thus give access to the project’s shared IDA storage space. This can be done in MyCSC, after the new user has first registered a CSC user account.
1. Log in to CSC’s customer portal MyCSC at my.csc.fi.
2. In MyCSC, go to My Projects view from left side menu and select the project you want to add the user to.
3. Under Members, fill in the username of the new member and click the plus button. The invited user will get an email notification informing them of their project membership.
The project manager can also remove project members in the project view by selecting the cross icon on the right side of the project member. This also removes access to the project’s IDA storage space.
The project manager can also apply for a project membership for a collaborator abroad.
Instructions for a new project member
End the active use of IDA storage space
If the IDA storage space is no longer needed, the project manager must notify CSC at servicedesk (a) csc.fi and agree upon the deletion of the stored data with CSC. The users are responsible for moving the data for their own use to another storage location.
CSC does not delete data that has been uploaded by users from the service without consulting the project manager or the organisation that has granted the IDA storage space.
If you have questions, please contact us at servicedesk (a) csc.fi, 09 457 2821.