Qvain front page will be at https://qvain.fairdata.fi .
If you are not logged in, you are prompted to do so.
After logging in, you can click
- New in order to create a new dataset description;
- View in order to see your previous work and manage it; or
You need to log in in order to use Qvain.
You need a HAKA identity; that is, you must have a user account in an organization that belongs to HAKA federation. HAKA includes all Finnish universities and a number of other institutions.
Other authentication methods will be available in the future.
First time using Qvain, you will be created a new identity. Follow the instructions. After this first registration you simply use your HAKA credentials to log in.
CREATE NEW DATASET DESCRIPTION
Click “New” in order to create a new description.
You can also clone an existing description as tha basis for a new description, see “List and Manage Descritpions”.
Click “Save” to make sure your job is saved as a draft. You can come back tlater and continue editing it. Saved jobs are listed in List view.
Saving does not make the description visible to others; that happens when you publish the description (see “Publish the Dataset”).
Clicking “Clear All” empties the form of all metadata you have entered, in any of the tabs.
Move between tabs
- The fields for metadata are in several tabs. You may move between the tabs freely. The tabs are:
- Contents tab where you give metadata of the what the dataset is about.
- Contributors tab where you give credit to creators and others who assisted in creating the dataset.
- References tab where you refer to related datasets, publications, and other resources that are relevant in understanding this dataset.
- Licencing tab where you indicate if the dataset is open access, or, if not, why and how the access is restricted. You also must define the terms if re-use by selecting a licence.
- History tab where you can add information about the history, or provenience, of the data
- Files tab where you point to files that consitute the dataset. See XXX
When you publish the description, a few picese of data are absolutely required. Prior to that, you may save the draft as incomplete as you need to.
The metadata that you must give is marked with an asterisk .
These are the things you need to know about the dataset:
- Title, the name of the dataset. If it does not yet have a name, you must give it one.
- Languages, i.e. the languages of the data and/or its documentation.
- Description, an explanation of the dataset.
- Creators, i.e. those persons and organizations that are entitled to credit as principal producers of the dataset.
- You may also credit contributors who are not quite creators but assisted in the process; editors, data collectors, project leaders, etc.
- Curators, i.e. the entity that is responsible for ongoing maintenance of the dataset and keeping it available.
- Identifiers and other metadata will be created automatically
- Your description will get a Persisten Identifier (PID) when you publish it.
If you need the PID urgently for e.g. reporting, do as follows:
- Make a rudimentary description with only obligatory metadata, and publish it.
- The record is assigned a PID that you can use in references.
- You can refine the description later (see Editing a Published dataset description)
Some other pieces of metadata will be added to the metadata record automatically, too.
Metadata auto checking
Qvain will check that you fill in all onligatory metadata. You can choose:
- Auto check on: you will be alerted to errors and omissions as you go.
- Auto check off: the real-time alerts are off. You can run a check by clicking the “Check now” button.
You cannot upload files with Qvain. Rather, you refer to them. In other words, they must be in their intended location already.
There are two cases: files are in Fairdata IDA Service, or there are in some other location.
Files in IDA
Go to Files tab to open a view to your IDA projects.
You will see your IDA project or projects.
You can move in the folder hierarchy.
You can click
- “Add” in order select an individual file
- “Add folder” in order to select an entire folder. Please note that you cannot first select a folder and then de-select individual files.
- “Details” in order to see more infromation about the file
Files in other locations
Instructions will be added later.
LIST AND MANAGE DESCRIPTIONS
Click “List” in the upmost menu bar
You get a list of descriptions you have created. Click one to open it for editing, or to perform one the management actions:
- “Publish”: description moves to the research data finder Etsin (etsin.fairdata.fi). Now the metadata is visible to all. Access to the actual data is open or restricted as you determined it in the metadata. Publishing process is explained in XXX
- “Clone”: Make a copy of the description. You cvan use it as a template, if much of metadata of two datasets is the same. But remember to change the title to avoid confusion.
- “Delete”: Delete the description in Qvain. Note that you cannot delete a dataset description that have been published in Etsin. If you have compelling reasons to prevent … XXX
PUBLISH THE DATASET DESCRIPTION
First, open the dataset in the List view if it is not open already.
Select Actions → Publish.
EDITING A PUBLISHED DATASET DESCRIPTION
You may need to correct or refine a dataset that is already in Etsin and available to others.