Fairdata Services are integrated services for storing, sharing and publishing research data. Fairdata services are offered free-of-charge for research done in Finnish higher education institutions and research institutes. Read more from Fairdata terms and polices.
How to publish your dataset with Fairdata
- 1. Create a CSC user account (If you haven’t got one yet)
- 2. Use IDA to store your data (Optional step. Instead of using IDA to store your data, you can add an URL to data in any remote resource, but then you can only get a URN identifier for you dataset, not DOI. You can also publish only the metadata of your dataset, without any link to the actual data. )
- 3. Use Qvain to create a dataset and to publish it
- Create a dataset description, include either files from IDA or from remote resource and publish the dataset. When including data from IDA, you have the flexibility to make your described data openly available or restrict its accessibility as needed.
- 4. Visit Etsin to view your published dataset
- Visit your dataset’s landing page. Note the persistent identifier (DOI or URN). You’ll need it when you reference the dataset.
When using Fairdata IDA to store and publish your data, please note, that a CSC project using IDA needs to have a project manager with an active user account at all times. The project manager can be a researcher, or e.g. the organisation’s research services staff member. The project manager of the CSC project can be changed when needed.
The persistent identifier and landing page of the published dataset remain in Etsin regardless of data availability or storage location.
If you are storing large files or or you wish to move data from e.g. CSC’s supercomputers to IDA use IDA’s command line tools.
You can also create a cumulative (growing) dataset with Qvain, which means that you can later include more files from IDA to your published dataset without creating a new version.
Once you have frozen your files in IDA and published them with Qvain, do not unfreeze or delete these files in IDA, unless you want to deprecate the published dataset permanently.
If you have lots of datasets to publish and you’re computer-savvy, you might be interested in creating your dataset descriptions with Metax REST API, read more https://metax.fairdata.fi/docs/
User support is available at firstname.lastname@example.org