Fairdata services are part of the digital preservation services of the Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland (“Minedu”). The Fairdata services support the research process and management of digital data with some of the components described in the Framework for Open Science and Research. The Fairdata services consist of the following service components:
- IDA – Research Data Storage
- Etsin – Research Data Finder
- Qvain – Research Dataset Metadata Tool
- auxiliary services, such as Metax, identity management, resource entitlement management
- Digital preservation service for Research Data (including management and packaging).
Characteristics of the Fairdata services include:
- Provides single sign-on services.
- Provides secure storage and discoverability of research materials and associated metadata.
- The metadata of all stored datasets and datasets harvested from other agreed sources will be published in the Etsin Research Data Finder, where the datasets have persistent identifiers and a landing page.
- The Fairdata services provide support and advisory services associated with the storage and management of the datasets for the end users and utilising and potentially utilising organisations, and maintains specifications related to digital preservation.
- The Fairdata services are managed according to the management model developed by Minedu.