Fairdata Services are integrated services for storing, sharing and publishing research data. Fairdata services are offered free-of-charge for research done in Finnish higher education institutions and research institutes. IDA storage space can also be applied based an Academy of Finland funding decision. Read more from Fairdata terms and polices.
How to publish your dataset with Fairdata
- Create a CSC user account.
- Use IDA to store your data (Optional step, depending on where you want to store your data. Instead of using IDA, you can add an URL as remote resource, but then you can only get a URN identifier for you dataset, not DOI. You can also publish only the metadata of your dataset, without any link to the actual data. )
- Use Qvain to create a dataset and to publish it
- Create a dataset description, add either files from IDA or from remote resource and publish the dataset
- Visit Etsin to view your published dataset
- Visit your dataset’s landing page. Note the persistent identifier (DOI or URN). You’ll need it when you reference the dataset.
If you are storing large files or or you wish to move data from e.g. CSC’s supercomputers to IDA use IDA’s command line tools.
You can also create a cumulative (growing) dataset with Qvain, which means that you can add more files to it from IDA without creating a new version.
Once you have frozen your files in IDA and published them with Qvain, do not unfreeze or delete these files in IDA, unless you want to deprecate the published dataset permanently.
If you have lots of datasets to publish and you’re computer-savvy, you might be interested in creating your dataset descriptions with Metax REST API, read more https://metax.fairdata.fi/docs/
User support is available at email@example.com