1. Who is IDA for?
The Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture (Minedu) offers the right to use the research data storage service IDA to the Finnish higher education institutions and research institutes. The service can also be used based on an Academy of Finland funding decision. Minedu can grant the right to use IDA directly, separately from the aforementioned organisational use rights. Minedu can also grant additional IDA capacity to projects by application. The full use policy is available at “Terms and Policies” (in Finnish).
IDA usage by Finnish Higher Education Institutions and State Research Institutes
IDA usage based on Academy of Finland funding
IDA access can also be applied for based on an Academy of Finland funding decision. Data produced under Academy of Finland research funding (Academy Projects, Centres of Excellence, research programmes) and under Academy of Finland research environment funding (research infrastructures) are eligible for IDA usage. Eligible projects can apply for up to 2 TB of storage capacity. When IDA is used based on an Academy of Finland funding decision, the duration of the use right is the duration of the funding decision + 2 years.
If you wish to continue using the IDA service beyond the duration as defined above, the you may contact your home organisation’s IDA contact person to determine whether it is possible to transfer the use right to your home organisation. You can also apply for an extension of the duration of IDA use if necessary, see ”Liite 2: Erillismyönnöt ja käyttöoikeuden keston jatkaminen” (in Finnish) on page “Terms and Policies“. If the need for data storage continues under a new eligible Academy of Finland funding decision, the duration of use rights can be extended by sending the new funding decision number to servicedesk (a) csc.fi.
Direct use rights allocation by Minedu
Minedu can grant the right to use IDA directly, separately from the aforementioned use rights. When necessary, the project can apply for the right to use the service directly from Minedu, or apply for additional storage capacity for a project already using IDA. Minedu evaluates the applications, and can consult suitable experts from the research community and research funding organisations. Use rights allocated directly by Minedu are intended for top-level scientific research.
Direct use rights are granted by Minedu for a fixed term, which is specified in the application approval. The older direct use rights allocated by Minedu, whose duration hasn’t been defined, will have a duration of 3 years, starting from 1.12.2018. This duration can be extended. The instructions for applying for a direct allocation or for the extension of the use rights can be found from ”Liite 2: Erillismyönnöt ja käyttöoikeuden keston jatkaminen” (in Finnish) on the page “Terms and Policies“.
2. How to apply for IDA storage space
The IDA storage space is applied and granted to a user group, i.e. a CSC project, and the users associated with the same project share a common IDA storage space. To use the IDA service, you will need a CSC user account and then either create a new project or be added as a member to an existing project.
Creating a new project and applying for IDA storage space
1. If you do not already have a CSC user account, please register a user account with Haka or Virtu in the CSC Customer Portal at my.csc.fi. Read CSC Docs for detailed registration instructions. If you don’t have Haka/Virtu, contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi to register (applies for some of the state research institutes).
2. Create a new user group, i.e. CSC project in the Customer Portal. Select Academic as the project type. Read how to create a project in CSC Docs.
3. Apply for IDA storage for your project. Go to the My Projects view from the left side menu, and select the project you want to apply for IDA storage space.
4. From the project’s Services menu, select IDA and then select Apply for access. (See picture of selecting IDA in the project view.)
5. Fill out the IDA application form. Under Storage Quota Owner, select your home organisation. If your home organisation is part of the Tampere universities, choose “Tampere university” from the dropdown menu. Alternatively, if you wish to apply for IDA storage based on an Academy of Finland funding (max 2 TB), choose Academy of Finland. You can check your Grant Number from the Academy of Finland web pages. Note, that only data produced under Academy of Finland research funding (Academy Projects, Centres of Excellence, research programmes) and under Academy of Finland research environment funding (research infrastructures) are eligible for IDA usage.
6. You will receive an email confirmation after the organisation’s IDA contact person has approved your application (usually within a few working days). After the application has been approved, you can log in to the service at ida.fairdata.fi or use IDA’s command line tools.
IMPORTANT: Renew your CSC account password annually when requested to keep your projects and their service access active. If you wish to modify the size of your IDA storage space, change the project manager, open a locked user account, or stop using the IDA service, please contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi.
Adding members to an existing project and its IDA storage space
As the project manager, you can add users to your project and thus give access to the project’s shared IDA storage space. This can be done in the CSC’s Customer Portal, after the new user has first registered a CSC user account.
1. Log in to CSC’s customer portal at my.csc.fi.
2. In the Customer Portal, go to My Projects view from left side menu and select the project you want to add the user to.
3. Under Members, fill in the username of the new member and click the plus button. The invited user will get an email notification informing them of their project membership.
The Project Manager can also remove project members in the project view by selecting the cross icon on the right side of the project member. This also removes access to the project’s IDA storage space.
Instructions for a new project member
3. Ending the active use of IDA storage space
If the IDA storage space is no longer needed, the project manager must notify CSC at servicedesk (a) csc.fi and agree upon the deletion of the stored data with CSC. The users are responsible for moving the data for their own use to another storage location.
Note: CSC does not delete data that has been uploaded by users from the service without consulting the project manager or the organisation that has granted the IDA storage space.
If you have questions, please contact us at servicedesk (a) csc.fi, 09 457 2821.