Who is IDA for?
The Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture (Minedu) offers the right to use the research data storage service IDA for the Finnish higher education institutions and research institutes. The service can also be used based on an Academy of Finland funding decision. Minedu can grant the right to use IDA directly, separately from the aforementioned organisational use rights. Minedu can also grant additional IDA capacity to projects by application. The full use policy is available at https://www.fairdata.fi/hyodyntaminen/kayttopolitiikat-ja-ehdot/ (in Finnish).
The IDA usage of Finnish Higher Education Institutions and Research Institutes
If your research project is operating under a Finnish higher education institution or research institute, you can apply for IDA access and a suitable amount of storage capacity from you home organisation. Organisations grant IDA quota for their projects. Finnish Higher Education Institutions and research institutes that have been granted IDA service use rights can apply for additional storage capacity from the Ministry of Education and Culture.
IDA access and size of storage quota is approved by the IDA contact person at each organisation. You may contact them for further information on the use of IDA service in your organisation. If your organisation has been granted the right to use the IDA service, but there is no named contact person, you can contact your home organisation’s research services and ask about the status of the IDA usage.
IDA usage based on Academy of Finland funding
IDA access can also be applied for based on Academy of Finland funding decision. Data produced under Academy of Finland research funding (Academy Projects, Centres of Excellence, research programmes) and under Academy of Finland research environment funding (research infrastructures) are eligible for IDA usage. Eligible projects can apply for up to 2 TB of storage capacity. When IDA is used based on the Academy of Finland’s funding decision, the duration of the use right is the duration of the funding decision + 2 years.
Direct use rights allocation by Minedu
Minedu can grant the right to use IDA directly, separately from the aforementioned use rights. When necessary, the project can apply for the right to use the service directly from Minedu, or apply for additional storage capacity for a project already using IDA. Minedu evaluates the applications, and can consult suitable experts from the research community and research funding organisations. Use rights allocated directly by Minedu are intended for top-level scientific research. The instructions for applying for IDA use rights (or for an extension of use rights) directly from Minedu can be found from IDA service use policy: https://www.fairdata.fi/hyodyntaminen/kayttopolitiikat-ja-ehdot/ (in Finnish).
How to apply for IDA storage space
To use the IDA service, you will need to create a user account and then either create a new project or be added as a member to an existing project. The IDA storage space is applied and granted to a project, and the users associated with the same project share a common IDA storage space.
Creating a new project and applying for IDA storage space
1. If you do not already have a CSC user account, please register a user account with Haka or Virtu in the CSC Customer Portal at my.csc.fi. Read CSC Docs for detailed registration instructions. If you don’t have Haka/Virtu, contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi to register (applies for some of the state research institutes).
2. Create a new project in the Customer Portal. Select Academic as the project type. Read how to create a project in CSC Docs.
3. Apply for IDA storage for your project. Go to the My Projects view from the left side menu, and select the project you want to apply for IDA storage space.
4. From the project’s Services menu, select IDA and then select Apply for access. (See picture of selecting IDA in the project view.)
5. Fill out the IDA application form. Under Storage Quota Owner, select your home organization.
- Alternatively, if you wish to apply for IDA storage based on an Academy of Finland funding (max 2 TB), choose Academy of Finland. You can check your Grant Number from the Academy of Finland web pages. Note, that only data produced under Academy of Finland research funding (Academy Projects, Centres of Excellence, research programmes) and under Academy of Finland research environment funding (research infrastructures) are eligible for IDA usage.
- Note: If your home organisation is part of the Tampere universities, choose “Tampere university” from the dropdown menu.
6. You will receive an email confirmation after the organisation’s IDA contact person has processed your application (usually within a few working days). After the application has been approved, you can log in to the service at ida.fairdata.fi or use IDA’s command line tools.
IMPORTANT: Renew your CSC account password annually when requested to keep your projects and their service access active. If you wish to modify the size of your IDA storage space, stop using the IDA service or change the project manager, please contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi.
Adding members to an existing project and its IDA storage space
As the project manager, you can add users to your project and thus give access to the project’s shared IDA storage space. This can be done in the CSC’s Customer Portal, after the new user has first registered a CSC user account.
1. Log in to CSC’s customer portal at my.csc.fi.
2. In the Customer Portal, go to My Projects view from left side menu and select the project you want to add the user to.
3. Under Members, fill in the username of the new member and click the plus button. The invited user will get an email notification about their project membership.
The Project Manager can also remove project members in the project view by selecting the cross icon on the right side of the project member. This also removes access to the project’s IDA storage space.
Instructions for a new project member
If you have questions, please contact our Service Desk: servicedesk (a) csc.fi, 09 457 2821.