Who is IDA for?
The Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture (Minedu) offers the right to use the research data storage service IDA for the Finnish higher education institutions and research institutes. The service can also be used based on an Academy of Finland funding decision. Minedu can grant the right to use IDA directly, separately from the aforementioned organisational use rights. Minedu can also grant additional IDA capacity to projects by application. The updated use policy is available at https://www.fairdata.fi/hyodyntaminen/kayttopolitiikat-ja-ehdot/ (in Finnish).
The IDA usage of Finnish Higher Education Institutions and Research Institutes
If your research project is operating under a Finnish higher education institution or research institute, you can apply for IDA access and a suitable amount of storage capacity from you home organisation. Organisations grant IDA quota for their projects. Finnish Higher Education Institutions and research institutes that have been granted IDA service use rights can apply for additional storage capacity from the Ministry of Education and Culture.
IDA access and size of storage quota is approved by the IDA contact person at each organisation. You may contact them for further information on the use of IDA service in your organisation. If your organisation has been granted the right to use the IDA service, but there is no named contact person, you can contact your home organisation’s research services and ask about the status of the IDA usage.
IDA usage based on Academy of Finland funding
IDA access can also be applied for based on Academy of Finland funding decision. Data produced under Academy of Finland research funding (Academy Projects, Centres of Excellence, research programmes) and under Academy of Finland research environment funding (research infrastructures) are eligible for IDA usage. Eligible projects can apply for up to 2 TB of storage capacity. When IDA is used based on the Academy of Finland’s funding decision, the duration of the use right is the duration of the funding decision + 2 years.
Direct use rights allocation by Minedu
Minedu can grant the right to use IDA directly, separately from the aforementioned use rights. When necessary, the project can apply for the right to use the service directly from Minedu, or apply for additional storage capacity for a project already using IDA. Minedu evaluates the applications, and can consult suitable experts from the research community and research funding organisations. Use rights allocated directly by Minedu are intended for top-level scientific research. The instructions for applying for IDA use rights (or for an extension of use rights) directly from Minedu can be found from IDA service use policy: https://www.fairdata.fi/hyodyntaminen/kayttopolitiikat-ja-ehdot/ (in Finnish).
How to apply
The project’s Principal Investigator can apply for IDA storage space with a application form in CSC’s Customer portal (SUI). The use right and storage capacity are applied for separately for each project.
1. If you don’t have a CSC customer account yet, you can register one in CSC Customer portal (SUI) after authenticating with your Haka credentials. You will receive an e-mail confirmation within a few minutes.
2. Create a CSC project on Resources and Applications-page (go to eService, followed by Resources and Applications, choose Project from the Resources menu, followed by Academic CSC Project). You will receive an e-mail confirmation within a few minutes.
3. Apply for IDA storage space for you CSC project with an IDA application form in SUI (go to eService, followed by Resources and Applications, choose Storage from the Resources menu, followed by IDA Storage Service). The application form will open in the bottom of the page. Choose the project for which you wish to apply for IDA storage space. Choose your home organisation from the dropdown menu Storage Quota Owner. Note: if your home organisation is part of the Tampere universities, choose “Tampereen yliopisto” from the dropdown menu. Alternatively, if you wish to apply for IDA storage based on Academy of Finland funding (max 2 TB), choose Academy of Finland. Only Academy projects need to fill in the field Funder Grant Number which can be checked from the Academy web page. Fill the applied storage quota in gigabytes in the field Applied Storage Quota, by entering the number only.
You will receive an e-mail confirmation after the organisation’s IDA contact person has processed your application.
4. Log in to the service at ida.fairdata.fi with your Haka credentials or with your CSC account.
Adding users to an existing IDA storage space
The project’s Principal Investigator can add users to their IDA storage space in CSC’s Customer portal (SUI). The users can be added after they have registered CSC accounts.
1. Log in to the Customer portal and choose the project from the My Projects view. Choose Edit Project on the right hand side on the bottom of the page.
2. Add a user by filling in the user’s e-mail address in the field View Members. Note, that the email address has to be the same as the email that is connected to the user’s CSC account.
3. The invited user approves the project invitation in the Approvals view.
The Principal Investigator can also remove project members in the My Projects view, by choosing Edit Project and selecting the cross icon on the right side of the project member’s email address.
For additional information about IDA, please contact our Service Desk: servicedesk (a) csc.fi, 09 457 2821.