The IDA storage space is applied and granted to a CSC project, and the users associated with the same project share a common IDA storage space. The same project can have members from multiple organisations and also collaborators from abroad. To use the IDA service, you will need a CSC user account and then either create a new project or be added as a member to an existing project.
- Instructions for applying for IDA research storage
- Instructions for adding members to a project in IDA
- How to end the active use of IDA storage space
Instructions for applying for IDA research storage
1. If you do not already have a CSC user account, please register a user account with Haka or Virtu in MyCSC (my.csc.fi). Read CSC Docs for detailed registration instructions. If you don’t have Haka/Virtu, contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi to register (applies for some of the state research institutes).
2. Create a CSC project in MyCSC. Select Academic as the project type.
3. Apply for IDA storage for your project. Go to the My Projects view from the left side menu, and select the project you want to apply for IDA storage space.
4. From the project’s Services menu, select IDA and then select Apply for access. (See picture of selecting IDA in the project view.)
5. Fill out the IDA application form. Under Storage Quota Owner, select your home organisation. If your home organisation is part of the Tampere universities, choose “Tampere university” from the dropdown menu.
6. You will receive an email confirmation after the organisation’s IDA contact person has approved your application (usually within a few working days). After the application has been approved, you can log in to the service at ida.fairdata.fi or use IDA’s command line tools.
IMPORTANT: Renew your CSC account password annually when requested to keep your projects and their service access active. If you wish to change the project manager, open a locked user account, or stop using the IDA service, please contact servicedesk (a) csc.fi.
Adding members to an existing CSC Project and its IDA storage space
As the project manager, you can add users to your project and thus give access to the project’s shared IDA storage space. This can be done in MyCSC, after the new user has first registered a CSC user account.
1. Log in to CSC’s customer portal MyCSC at my.csc.fi.
2. In MyCSC, go to My Projects view from left side menu and select the CSC Project you want to add the user to.
3. Click on the Manage button under Members. If the User that you wish to add is from the same organisation as you, you can now simply fill in their CSC account name and click Add. The invited user will get an email notification informing them of their CSC Project membership. If the User from another organisation, you can create an invitation link for them to use. To generate a link, click on the Invite button under Members. After the invited User has used the link, remember to log in MyCSC again to approve their CSC Project membership.
The project manager can also remove CSC Project members in the project view by clicking on Manage and then Remove members. Select the members you wish to remove and confirm the removal by clicking Remove selected. Removing the CSC Project membership also removes their access to the project’s IDA storage space.
The project manager can also apply for a project membership for a collaborator.
Instructions for a new project member
After you have published your project’s data
If the IDA storage space is no longer needed, the project manager must notify CSC at servicedesk (a) csc.fi and agree upon the deletion of the stored data with CSC. The users are responsible for moving the data for their own use to another storage location.
If you have questions, please contact us at servicedesk (a) csc.fi, 09 457 2821.